Meet undergraduate Emily Chu

Emily Chu
Emily Chu

Emily Chu is a senior majoring in allied health sciences. She is a research assistant at the Korey Stringer Institute within CAHNR. She has also interned at the Boston Children’s Hospital in their Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Emily is planning on applying to medical school and wants to go into pediatrics. Here is what she said about her time at UConn.

What attracted you to UConn? During my college search, I didn’t have specific features I was looking for in a school. However, I wanted to stay relatively close to home. When I learned about the allied health sciences major, I knew that this is what I wanted to study. So I began looking at schools with this major. I loved the campus when I came for a tour, and I liked the size of the school. Additionally, I liked that it is a sports school, as I have always been involved in sports and love going to games. Now that I am here, it reminds me of my hometown in many ways, and I couldn’t picture myself anywhere else!

What is your major, and why did you choose it? My major is allied health science with a minor in biological sciences. I knew that I wanted to go into healthcare, and I liked how a degree in allied health science would give me many graduate school options. Additionally, I like the freedom within the major to take classes that are directly applicable to the field of medicine. Ultimately, I plan on going to medical school, and I would like to go into pediatrics.

Which one of your UConn activities, internships or jobs was the most memorable? Why? While not directly associated with UConn, during the summer of 2018 I volunteered at Boston Children’s Hospital in their NICU (Neonatal Intensive Care Unit). I am interested in going into pediatrics, and I have always loved working with children and babies. Because of this, I was incredibly excited to be placed in the NICU. I spent two days a week there helping the nurses by holding the babies and keeping them calm or interacting with parents and siblings of the patients. It was a humbling experience and helped me solidify my path in medicine by confirming my interests in pediatrics.

Name two other experiences that have enriched your studies. I have worked as a research assistant at the Korey Stringer Institute here at UConn almost every semester. This spring, I will be writing my honors thesis on a study that I have helped with, and I am very excited to be given this opportunity and work closely with a great team of researchers.

Additionally, I have volunteered with a program called America Reads where I helped out in an elementary school classroom. I helped students with their classwork and was simply an additional adult in the classroom for the students to turn to for help. I would travel with them to other classes like art and Spanish. I love working with the students and being a positive influence in their lives.

What was the biggest challenge in your UConn career? My biggest challenge was learning how to fit in here. College is a great time to find your true self and to explore different interests. It took some time for me to make friends and find clubs and activities to get involved in. I now have a great group of friends and have met many interesting people. I’ve played on intramural teams in sports I used to play and some brand-new ones, like inner-tube water polo.

When do you expect to graduate? What then? I am graduating in May 2019, and then I am applying to medical school. I am going to take a gap year to relax while working on my applications and hopefully find a job in a hospital back home.

Is there anything else you would like us to know about you? I am from Groton, Massachusetts.

By Thomas Krumel

One thought on “Meet undergraduate Emily Chu

1. I was one of Emily’s first teachers and I knew from the start she was very special. My heart is bursting with pride. I was born in CT and I love UCONN!