Meet undergraduate Samantha Doyle

Samantha Doyle
Samantha Doyle

Samantha Doyle is a senior majoring in animal science. She is actively involved on campus in the Sigma Alpha sorority and the equestrian team. Last summer, she interned with the Georgia Aquarium working with the sea lion team to inform visitors on how to help protect the animal’s natural habitats.

What attracted you to UConn? I chose to come to UConn because they offered a minor in therapeutic horsemanship education, which is something that I am very passionate about.

What is your major, and why did you choose it? I am an animal science major. I knew from a very young age that animals were my passion and that there was no way I could have a job that didn’t involve animals in some capacity.

Which one of your UConn activities, internships or jobs was the most memorable? Why? This past summer, I participated in an internship at the Georgia Aquarium with the sea lion team! It was the most incredible experience of my life, and I learned so much about these amazing animals and, hopefully, inspired others to take action to protect their natural habitats.

Towards the end of my internship, I was able to take on a speaking role in the sea lion presentations, which helped me to improve my public speaking skills, as well as promote these incredible animals and describe what is being done to help them. Speaking to a crowd is much less intimidating when you’re speaking about something that you love. I also enjoyed observing the training sessions every day and learning what it takes to train and care for these animals.

Name two other experiences that have enriched your studies. I am a member of Sigma Alpha, the professional agriculture sorority on campus, as well as the equestrian team. Both of these organizations helped me to make friends when I was a first-year student and made this large campus feel smaller and more close-knit.

Additionally, I was able to participate in the independent study called Foal Watch, where I was assigned a mare to care for throughout her pregnancy. I learned a lot from this experience and was even present when she gave birth to her foal.

What was the biggest challenge in your UConn career? The second semester during my first year, I broke my shoulder pretty severely while riding a horse. I missed a couple of weeks of classes while I was home because doctors weren’t sure if the bone would heal correctly on its own or if I would need surgery.

Despite missing class time and being unable to move my arm enough to write any of my assignments or notes, I was still able to complete the semester with As and Bs, as well as complete the process to get accepted into Sigma Alpha.

When do you expect to graduate? What then? I am set to graduate in the spring of 2019. At this point, I am unsure if I will pursue graduate school immediately or begin working and getting more experience before applying in a couple of years.

Is there anything else you would like us to know about you? Not only do I love animals, but I am a huge nerd when it comes to the Marvel Cinematic Universe! My favorite characters are the Winter Soldier, Groot and Captain America.

By: Thomas Krumel