Meet undergraduate student Julia Schnelting

Julia Schnelting

As a UConn athlete, Julia Schnelting is always working hard at both school and rowing. Julia is a foreign exchange student from Germany and has overcome a language and culture barrier to be a student in America. Her outgoing personality has helped her to find a home with the UConn Women’s Rowing team. Read more about Julia’s experiences as a UConn student.

What attracted you to UConn? I initially came to UConn to be on the Women’s Rowing team. In Germany, it is very hard to combine sports with school. I had heard about students coming to the United States to play sports. So, I applied with an agency that brings athletes from around the world to the United States to participate on college teams. I was then approached by coaches to be a part of their rowing teams. Although I was unable to visit UConn, I liked how the school looked in pictures, and I had a good feeling about attending here.

What is your major, and why did you choose it? I am a senior studying applied resource economics in the Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics (ARE).  In Germany, I had previously been studying sale engineering and product management, which was more engineering based. I thought ARE was a little strange at first, since it was in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources, but when I did more research, it seemed like a good complement for my major back at home.

Which one of your UConn activities, internships or jobs was the most memorable? Why? Rowing has been the most memorable activity for me on campus. Last year, our UConn team made it into the biggest competition, which was very exciting. Being on the rowing team has given me the experience of being on a college sports team that I had hoped for when I came to the United States.

Name another experiences that have enriched your studies. Last spring, I had the opportunity to attend a workshop on discovering your leadership skills. This fall, I facilitated that workshop and helped to lead it.

What was the biggest challenge in your UConn career? The first few weeks in the United States were hard because I had to adjust to life away from home and the different academic environment here. It has been a continual challenge to get used to life in a new country.

When do you expect to graduate? What then? I expect to graduate in May 2018 and will be returning to Germany to complete the bachelor’s degree that I began there. Eventually, I would like to get my masters at a school in Germany and then return to the United States for a PhD program.

Is there anything else you would like us to know about you? I love living in the United States and being part of a team here. In Germany, I was always the only girl participating in sports. It is very exciting to come to America and see all the women involved. All of the sports in America are so much bigger and have a greater team feeling, which I love.

By Erin Norris