Chris Bruno

Christopher Bruno

Christopher Bruno is an undergraduate in CAHNR majoring in agricultural and resource economics. Chris is actively involved at UConn, promoting a greener campus while also being involved in numerous clubs and activities. Here is what he said about his experiences as a student in the College of Agriculture, Health and Natural Resources.

What attracted you to UConn? I was attracted to UConn since it is a large school that offers many opportunities for undergraduate students. Some of the biggest draws were the honors program, numerous clubs and strong overall academics. UConn has many programs and learning communities that offer a small school feel, even on the larger campus.

Why did you choose your particular major? I chose agricultural and resource economics, because it combines my interest in business and the environment. I also really like the applications of economics that students in the major are exposed to. In addition, I am minoring in both entrepreneurship and German.

Which one of your UConn activities, internships or jobs was the most memorable? Why? Working as a student intern in the Office of Environmental Policy (OEP) has been one of my favorite experiences at UConn. With this, I get the chance to work on a variety of projects.

Some examples are tracking greenhouse gases, coordinating and leading Green Game Days at home sports games, applying for our University’s Tree Campus USA certification, and developing and analyzing an environmental awareness survey. Working at the OEP has given me a chance to be involved in many initiatives that help make UConn’s campus greener overall.

Name two other experiences that have enriched your studies. Another activity that I am involved with is the UConn men’s club volleyball team. Since my freshman year, I have traveled with the team and competed. Additionally, I am president this year and enjoy having a leadership role.

A further experience I enjoyed was conducting research for my honors thesis. My project aims to quantify what students would pay for organic, local and non-GMO foods in dining halls. I also had the opportunity to research food access and inequality issues through an award from the Roper Center.

What was the biggest challenge in your UConn career? My biggest challenge is balancing school, work and extracurricular activities. There are so many events and organizations on campus that it is easy to take on too much. I want to make sure that I have the time to develop as a person and make the most out of my undergraduate years at UConn.

When do you expect to graduate? What then? I plan to graduate in May 2016. After that, I want to work for an innovative company or a consulting firm. This summer I am interning at a management-consulting firm and will see what opportunities or findings come up after that.

Is there anything else you would like us to know about you? One interesting fact is that I have a twin brother who goes to Trinity College.

In addition, I studied abroad during the summer and winter in Costa Rica and Germany. While studying at the University of Stuttgart in Germany, I had the chance to live with a German host family and gain more perspective on German culture. I recommend that other students take advantage of the many programs UConn has to offer.

By Dominique Martin